Why Tartar is important in Soda bread!



This is not a post to show you today's gorgeous bread, it is an example of why Cream of Tartar is important. I made a soda bread this morning using sour milk (yes, milk that had 'gone over' in the fridge so I left it outside for a day to fully sour (almost yoghurty). It makes the bread light and fluffy ........... however I forgot to add the tartar! As a result the baking soda taste is present (not dreadful but present) although this can be overcome with lashings of butter and jam. Also as you can see on the photo the bread has a strange 'greenish' tinge to it. I have noticed both of these effects on the few previous occasions when I have left out the tartar.

To reiterate then, the tartar is very important if you make soda bread. It provides an extra element of acid for the soda to react with and also helps prevent 'green' bread.

If your soda bread ever smells or tastes of soda (metallic taint) then you have either too much soda or not enough acid, however too much soda is the worst crime 😉


Edit: Same day but a few hours later......as I had some sour milk leftover I decided to repeat this mornings effort but this time with cream of tartar (3.3%)

Result ........ no soda 'taint' and not 'greenish' looking. Taste was great! 

Without cream of tartar

With 3.3% cream of tartar added....

Comments