Sourdough Rye


This turned out to be a real treat!  I have been meaning to bake rye sourdough for a long time now and never yet got round to it.  We love Rye but to be honest I was bracing myself for something more suited to building houses with or as a heavy weapon!  However it turned out to be soft and light to eat (still 'dense' of course) and full of taste, this will be made again for sure!  It is incredibly easy to make, requires no real kneading, and can be made in about 6 hours so none of that overnight retarding caper!  If you like Rye bread but don't really fancy the 'grief' associated with sourdough then I highly recommend this recipe 👍


I only had enough starter to make a smaller loaf than the recipe so I cut the flour down to 200g dark Rye and adjusted the other ingredients to suit.  As we are still on the boat I used the rather simple non thermostatic Plastimo oven set on max for 20 mins with a dish of boiling water in the bottom of the oven then removed the dish and baked for another 25 mins.  I would expect the results to be even better with a 'proper' oven 😋

Patrick Ryan's recipe here

As a side note, I have to say I really like Patrick Ryan's way of baking.  He makes it straight forward and takes all the 'bunkem' out of baking.  One day I would like to attend one of his bread master class's in Ireland.

Comments